Religion can be a powerful motivator for people of faith to embrace and commit to a critical cause and stay with it. This class will introduce basic teachings of Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, and Buddhism (along with a session on American indigenous religions) that persuade believers to embrace the creation and health of our planet and take action to protect it.
We will explore:
- basic beliefs of each major faith
- its concept of the origin of the Earth
- divine involvement in creating and sustaining physical life
- imperatives for human care of the planet
- examples of that care where we can see faith in action in current world history
- Students will have an opportunity to investigate and report on issues of personal interest provoked by our discussions.
- Minimum recommended age: 13
- Instructor: Dr. Greg Richards
- Tuesdays, 11:30 AM - 12:30 PM ET
- 6 classes
- September 14, 21, 28, October 5, 12, 19